8.16.2011

Tuesday Tutorial: Up-cycled Wood Blocks

I've had these wood blocks for a while, but I thought it was high time for an update. I thought about giving them away, but decided to update them instead. For this, all you need is a sturdy piece of wood (perhaps you too have a piece that needs to be updated...), some spray paint, painter's tape, & some acrylic paint.



For the first one I used Coral Isle. I really liked the look of the raw wood around the edges, so I used painter's tape before spray painting. After a few thin and even layers of spray paint (and letting it dry, of course), I roughed it up a bit with a nail file (or sand paper if you're classy) just so it wasn't so shiny. I then painted the word Patience with white & a grey outline.
Wrap 3M tape around the edges & fold
Spray a thin, even layer
After two thin coats
After three thin coats: perfect!
Roughed up a bit & with a thin layer of acrylic white
Beginning outlines of grey
& voila... with a little patience (ha) you're finished product will be dry in no time


For the second I used Chalkboard spray paint from Krylon (my first experience with this stuff & I am hooked). No better time to use this stuff than August when it's back to school time!
Apply a few thin, even layers allowing time to dry in between
After a few coats, let it dry for 24 hours. Then use the side of a piece of chalk and rub the entire surface of the chalk board. Erase with a felt eraser (or your fingertips) & then you're free to write/draw/create!





Linking up with these ladies: & here & here
homeworkMaking Monday Marvelous Linky PartyTip Junkie handmade projects

1 comment:

Got anything to say? I'd love to hear from you!